The Power of a Personal Vision statement for your life and business.
One of the activities that I often take my clients through is creating their personal vision statement. Creating your personal vision statement is a journey of self-discovery. A personal vision/mission statement is the framework for creating a powerful life.
Unlike a goal, a vision or mission rarely changes. It is a reason for our existence. It guides us in the decisions we make and the directions we take.
In a nutshell, your personal vision is what you want to be, do, feel, think, own, associate with, and impact by some date in the future.
Your Personal Vision Statement should answer these questions:
- What is my purpose?
- What are my values and beliefs?
- What actions do I take to manifest my Purpose and my Values?
- What do you want to be doing? How do you see your ideal day/week?
- Where are you living? Whom do you see around you?
- What actions do you need to take to make it happen?
- What changes do you want to be a part of? What is your legacy?
- What are the different roles in your life (parent, spouse, worker etc) and how will you evolve in each of them?
Without question, creating your personal vision statement is one of the most powerful and significant invests of your time you will ever do.
It will allow you to take leadership in your life. You will identity the important roles, people and things in your life— who you want to be, what you want to do, so you have your heart’s desire.
Most importantly it will help you anchor your purpose and put focus to the legacy you want to leave. Stephen Covey said it best “an empowering Mission Statement…
- Represents the deepest and best within you. It comes out of a solid connection with your deep inner life.
- Is the fulfillment of your own unique gifts. It’s the expression of your unique capacity to contribute.
- Addresses and integrates the four fundamental human needs and capacities in the physical, social/emotional, mental and spiritual dimensions.
- Deals with all the significant roles in your life. It represents a lifetime balance of personal, family, work, community-whatever roles you feel are yours to fill.
- Is written to inspire you-not to impress anyone else. It communicates to you and inspires you on the most essential level.”
My challenge to you is to create your personal vision today!